Addiction Recovery Programs in Boise, ID (208) 272-9857
Recovery programs are rehabilitation methods used to treat alcohol and drug addiction disorders. Proper recovery programs are conducted through rehab treatment centers, with full access to medical detox, psychotherapy, and medical care.
The 12-Step Program
Effective recovery programs are based on the Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step recovery program. These recovery programs include the following concepts:
- No continuing substance abuse
- Recognizing the lack of self-control
- Recognizing the need to use is a compulsion
- Admitting a restoration to health and sobriety is only available with the belief in a
- higher power
- Examining past transgressions with a sponsor
- Making amends for those transgressions
- Commitment to learning new and healthy behaviors
- Using this newly found knowledge to help other addicted people
Behavior-oriented recovery is used among many programs. Behavioral therapy to replace negative behaviors with positive ones are the focus While there is recognition of emotional and physiological causes of addiction, the behavioral focus looks to dealing with addiction in practical and behavioral terms. The most effective programs incorporate behavioral concepts as the main focus.
To learn more about centers and program options available to help treat drug addictions, contact Boise Drug Treatment Centers at (208) 272-9857.
Other Behavioral Treatment Therapies
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- To eliminate behaviors and thinking that lead to damaging consequences
- Specific ways to react and behave to become constructive are taught
- To reinforce the constructive behaviors so they continue
- Motivational interviewing concentrates on setting goals for the individual
- Behaviors are developed to meet those end goals
- Conflicting feelings are examined so they can be resolved
- Counselors shape specific actions with the individual to address the specific
- The individual's conduct needing modification is identified
- A specified plan to give rewards is implemented as the desired conduct is
- As more desirable behaviors are performed, rewards are increased as positive
- reinforcement for these behaviors and feelings to continue
More on Behavioral Therapy
The following are two examples of other behavioral therapies used in programs and proven effective:
- Group meetings: Individuals with substance abuse issues meet on a regular basis to discuss their problems and challenges This decreases isolation and shame in the individual They are with people who are in the same situation, facing the same struggles This peer support is effective in reaching and maintaining sobriety.
- Art therapy: This is a hands-on approach The individual has the experience of using hands to express feelings and emotions Since trauma, physical and mental abuse are common among substance abusers, the need to express these feelings is crucial Expressing these issues, with the accompanying emotions of shame and pain, make it difficult to do verbally Art therapy is an outlet for those painful feelings and emotions in nonverbal ways.
Principles of Effective Treatment
- Treatment plans customized to the individual
- Treatment therapies: must assess the whole person, not just the addiction
- Time must be taken to implement the plan
- Behavioral therapies: cannot be omitted
- Medication therapy: cannot be omitted
- Addiction recovery plans: must be flexible and modified as treatment progresses
- Co-existing disorders: common in addicts and must be addressed
- Medical detoxification: cannot be the only treatment and needs continuation of treatment for the long-term
- Forced drug treatment: has been proven effective
- Drug testing: must be conducted to monitor if individual is secretly abusing
- Testing for diseases: essential and counseling to reduce risks is required
Each individual is unique and responses to treatment are also unique. Physical make-up, brain chemistry, environment and level of abuse are only a few factors that make an individual's response to treatment unique The importance of a flexible and comprehensive plan that uses many approaches increases the success of an individual becoming and staying substance-free.
Call Boise Drug Treatment Centers at (208) 272-9857 to learn more about available centers and treatment programs through which, you or a loved one, can successfully reach sobriety and maintain it in the long term.